Xiwuqi King of the Grasslands – CyclingChallenge
The 2023 event has three cyclingcompetitions: 1/the Route 99 Time Trial Through the Grasslands (30km) onSaturday afternoon, 2/ Cyclo XiWuQi 112km and the Grassland MTB 47km race onSunday afternoon.
• The TT race and the Cyclo Xiwuqi 112km are designed for road racebikes, but you can also take part with other bike types. the Grassland MTB 47km is designed for MTBonly.
• Not allowed: E-bikes (battery-charged) and TT bikes
• TT starts with the first rider on Saturday afternoon at 15:00
• Cyclo Xiwuqi 112km and the Grassland MTB 47km has a mass start at9:00 on Sunday morning
• Cyclo Xiwuqi 112km and the Grassland MTB 47km is a personal cycling challenge with timing via electronic chip for non-professional and recreational cyclists. The event is open to everyone but promotes amateur, or non-professional, cycling. This means that professional cyclists, or former professionals who have retired from pro cycling less than one year before the date of our event, can only ride Cyclo Xiwuqi 112km and the Grassland MTB 47km'out of competition', i.e., they will not feature in the result list no rreceive any prizes. These cyclists are also expected not to influence the outcome of the competition and restrict themselves to defensive riding
• Definition of a ‘professional cyclist’: People who are currently professional cyclists will not be part of the race competition. A professional cyclist is a person whose name features on the latest official team list of aUCI licensed World Tour, Pro Continental or Continental Team, or an ELITE MTBteam or UCI MTB team. The team rosters and names of riders are available on thewebsite of the UCI, the International Cycling Federation. There can thereforebe no discussion. Note that top amateur riders who are hired as occasional guest riders for any of the a forementioned team categories are not considered professionals and can therefore compete in Cyclo Xiwuqi 112km and the Grassland MTB 47km.
• Participants are personally responsible to ensure their bicycle, gearand other equipment are fit for the task.
• Wearing a helmet is mandatory for each participant. No helmet, nostart!
• TT bikes are not allowed, but TT handlebars can be used if installedon a normal road race bike
• Only natural leg power is allowed. Any kind of electronic,battery-charged or other mechanical aids on any part of the bicycle isforbidden. People caught cheating against this rule may be banned for life fromNordic Ways events. The Organization Committee (OC) reserves the right to checkbikes before the start. Footpeg, locks, etc. shall all be removed before thestart of the event.
• In addition to ‘mechanical doping’, any rider caught possessing ortaking drugs banned by WADA (World Anti-Doping Agency) will be disqualifiedfrom the event and potentially banned for life from Nordic Ways events. Ifyou must take a banned product for medical reasons, please let the racedirector know in advance of the event providing a TUE or other proof thatclearly states you must use the product during the event on medicalgrounds.
• Each participant must read through the full specific eventre gulations and guidelines. By starting a race, the participant acknowledges and accepts the event regulations.
• Each participant must register online before the event
• Number bibs & bike plates: must be collected at the Race Office in the Xiwuqi Hotel and worn during each of the two races. No bike plate/numberbib=no result! Follow the instructions for the correct placement of the bike plat (with timing chip). Otherwise, there will be a 10-minute time penalty.
• Results & Award Ceremony
• A prize giving ceremony will be held after the races. Participants eligible for a prize are required to check the event timetable and remain atthe Event Arena to collect their prize on the podium stage.
• R99 TT: road bike & MTB bike
• Cyclo Xiwuqi 112 road bike & MTB bike
• Grassland 47 : MTB-only
• Complaints about race results can be communicated to the race jury at the finish line until 30 minutes after the participant’s finish time. Note that a deposit of 200 RMB will be required for the jury to handle the case. Ifthe complaint is deemed justified by the race jury, the person who filed the complaint will get the deposit back.
• Each finishing participant will receive an official finisher certificate and medal
• There will be a minimum speed requirement and thus cut-offtimes at check points for both race categories of Cyclo Xiwuqi 112km and theGrassland MTB 47km.
CP1 (km 44): 11:30 am
CP2: (km 77): 13:30 pm
Finish: 15:30 pm
47 km MTB:
CP: (km 39): 11:30 am
• Please be aware of these cut-off times because we must stop you if you arrive too late. If you refuse to stop, you will be entirely self-responsible and you might run into difficulties with local authorities,who are setting clear regulations for our event.
• These check points must be passed by each rider. No passage at a check point or any other kind of short cutting will result in disqualification from the day's competition. Note that participants going off the official course will be self-responsible for any risk or injury occurring during thistime.
• Except official event cars and media cars, no cars are allowedto follow the participants during the race for security reasons.
• Mandatory Hydration: For Cyclo Xiwuqi 112km and 47km MTB, each participant must carry with him at least 1 500ml bottle of water or energy drink. Race officials will check before the start!
• Participants must obey all orders and indications of the race director and/or his assistant, and any official volunteers along the racecourses.
• Fair play is the order of the day: riders who are seen conducting unsporting behavior towards others will get a time penalty and/or will bedisqualified from the event by the OC. This includes pushing or pulling slower people uphill. Pushing or pulling will be penalized by minimum 1 hour for thefirst infringement for both riders in question.
• Even though the race course is expected to be kept traffic free by local authorities, expect the unexpected, watch out for any potential cattleand follow standard traffic regulations by keeping to the right side of theroad and stopping for red traffic lights.
• Participants must follow the course as marked by the OrganizingCommittee (OC). Course marking always over rules GPS maps as on any day,emergency route modifications may occur.
• Start procedure TT:
• The start list for the individual time trial will be communicated atthe latest one week before the event. The first rider is expected to start hisor her TT on Saturday afternoon at 15:00.
• For reasons of fair-play, TT bikes are not allowed. On the otherhand, TT handle bars placed on a normal road bike are allowed.
• Participants need to check-in at the start location at least 15minutes before their scheduled start time.
• The starting time and order must be kept without exception. If you arrive too late, you will be ranked as a non-starter (DNS)
• This is an individual time trial: drafting behind another rider ( =wheelsucking) is not permitted. Referees will monitor participants throughout the TT race. Penalties will be given and yellow cards will be shown if aparticipant is caught drafting:
1 yellow card = 10 minutes penalty
2 yellow cards = 30 minutes penalty
3 yellow cards = red card = disqualification (DQ)
• Route 99 is a new tarmac road and is very smooth to ride on.Nevertheless, always remain aware of your surroundings (especially if you ridea special TT bike) as cattle runs freely in the grasslands and not everything is fenced off.
• The start location is about 25km from Xiwuqi. A shuttle bus will be provided.
• The finish location is about 22km from Xiwuqi: A shuttle bus will be provided. The finish location is worth spending a bit of time to relax and recover.
• Start procedure Cyclo Xiwuqi 112km and the Grassland MTB 47km
• There are separate starting blocks that must be adhered to.Participants who start in the wrong block will receive a time penalty offifteen (15) minutes.
Block A: 112km
Block B: 112km KOG participants
Block C: 47km MTB
• Timing: Every participant receives an electronic chip to be attached to the bike. Follow the instructions given at the race pack collection
• Aid stations: there will be several stations with water, energy drink & snacks along each day’s tracks. Have an extra energy bar in your pocket none theless.
• Markings: the course will be clearly marked by arrows and flags. The TT will have yellow marking copying the regular marking on the route 99 road.The marking for Cyclo Xiwuqi 112km and the Grassland MTB 47km are as follows:
112km: follow the yellow signs
47km MTB: follow the red signs
Please note that there are cattle (sheep, cows, horses….) in the grasslands and they occasionally run over our course signs. We count on your sense of adventure and good spirit to accept this inconvenience, should you encounter this during one of the two races.
• Leave No Trace: competitors are not allowed to throw litter on the race course and should keep it with them until the next aid station or designated littering zone.
• The Race Director and / or the Organization Committee is authorized to shorten race distances or cancel the event due to unforeseen or exceptional circumstances that jeopardize the security of the event or its participants.
• If anything is unclear, please address your question to a NordicWays staff or to email@example.com